Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

About the school as a whole

    Which countries do most students come from?

    It varies depending on the school. The Tokyo Shinjuku School has many students from Europe and America, while the Nagoya School has many students from China. About half of the students at the Kobe School are from China, with the other half coming from a variety of countries.

    How many students are there in total?

    The maximum number of students is 100 at the Tokyo Shinjuku School, 190 at the Nagoya School, and 100 at the Kobe School.

    I’ve never studied Japanese before. Can I join the school?

    Students who are completely new to Japanese are very welcome to enroll. However, we highly recommend learning hiragana and katakana before starting classes.※ For students wishing to apply for a student visa, proof of Japanese language proficiency equivalent to N5 or higher may be required.

    I don’t know which course is the best for me.

    To begin with, please contact us. We will help you find the best course for you according to your learning objectives.

    How well will I be able to speak Japanese?

    It differs from person to person of course, however studying 5 days a week for 3 months while living in Japan should enable you to be able to engage in basic daily conversations and do things such as buy goods and order at restaurants.
    After 1 year you will be able to explain what you need in places such as hospitals, banks, and city hall.
    In addition to acquiring conversation skills, many students are able to pass the N3 or N2 after one year, and the N2 or N1 after two years.

    If I wish to go on to a Japanese university or the like, when should I start studying and for how long?

    For those wishing to go on to study at a Japanese university, we recommend starting in April and studying for 2 years, or at the least starting in October and studying for a year and a half.

    Do you have a scholarship program?

    If a student meets the requirements, such as be having excellent grades, attendance, a good class attitude, and suffering from financial difficulties, the school will make a recommendation to an outside organization. If the application is successful, the student will be awarded a scholarship. Every year, several students receive this scholarship.

    How can I pay school fees?

    Please pay by cash, bank transfer, or credit card (VISA/Master).
    Those enrolling through a study abroad agent will be informed of payment details separately.

    If I wish to cancel, what should I do? Will I receive a refund?

    To begin with, please contact us.
    For further details, please refer to the refund policy in the application guidelines

    →Download document

    Are there opportunities to interact with Japanese people?

    The ECC Japanese Language Institute is located in the same building as other ECC group schools, such as the ECC Language Institute and the ECC Transfer Institute.
    There are many opportunities to communicate with Japanese students who attend these schools and to make a lot of Japanese friends.

    Is there a study room?

    Yes, there is. Many students study there before and after class.

    How many students are in each class?

    In general there are between ten and twenty students per class.


    What is a visa?

    A visa is a permit that allows a foreigner to enter and stay in Japan.
    There are various types of visas, such as a 90-day visa for short-term stays for purposes such as sight-seeing, a 2-year visa for studying, a working holiday visa, a working visa, a family visa, and a spouse visa.

    How long does it take to apply for a student visa?

    The application process for a student visa takes about six months. If you are considering staying in Japan using a student visa. Please contact us with time to spare.

    Do I apply for a student visa by myself?

    Once you have prepared the necessary documents, the ECC Japanese Language Institute will apply for a student visa at the Immigration Bureau on your behalf. We will also support you in preparing the necessary documents.

Daily Life

    Can you help me find housing?

    Yes, we can. There are a variety of accommodations available, such as share houses, apartments, home stays, etc. Feel free to contact us about arranging accommodation at any time.

    Can I work part time?

    It depends on your type of visa.
    Students with a student visa can work part-time after obtaining a “Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted” for up to 28 hours per week.
    However, students are not allowed to work within the first three months of studying at ECC in order to focus on their studies. Temporary visitor visa holders are not allowed to work part-time.

    What are the living costs for one month.

    It depends on the area and your lifestyle, but, for reference, the average cost of living is approximately \120,000 to ¥150,000 in Tokyo, ¥70,000 to ¥100,000 in Nagoya, and ¥80,000 to ¥110,000 in Kobe.
    Reference for costs:A Big Mac set at McDonalds costs ¥690 and a tall late at Starbucks costs ¥380.

    Please tell me about insurance in Japan.

    Students who have a student visa must join the “National Health Insurance” program. If you are sick or injured and go to the hospital, students with a National Health Insurance card are only liable for 30% of the medical fees.
    However, students with a temporary visitor visa cannot join the “National Health Insurance” program. Please be sure to purchase travel insurance before coming to Japan.

    How much money should I bring with me when I come to Japan?

    We recommend that you bring about 6 months’ worth of living expenses with you.

    Are there any long vacations?

    There are 10 days off between terms and during the summer.

    Is it possible to return to my country during a long vacation?

    Yes, you can. Please inform the school if you are planning on temporarily leaving Japan.